Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge - GLOBE Observer
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge - Intro
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge
25 July to 25 August 2021
Short link to this page: https://observer.globe.gov/mosquito-challenge
Scientists need your photos of mosquito larvae and land cover to help prevent mosquito-borne diseases.
The Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) Program invites citizen scientists from around the world to participate in the Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge. This challenge combines Mosquito Habitat Mapper and Land Cover (two GLOBE Observer app tools) to document mosquito breeding habitats with photos.
GLOBE would like you to take photos of mosquito habitats, in either natural or artificial containers. If mosquito larvae are present, you are encouraged to photograph them with a magnifier (optional). Then, we’d like you to take photos of the land around the habitat location using the Land Cover tool.
Photos submitted during this challenge will be used to create automated classification programs that can identify mosquito larvae and the environments they prefer. Such computer programs can help prevent outbreaks of mosquito-borne disease.
How to participate:
- Download the GLOBE Observer app and register an account.
- Take photos of mosquito habitats and mosquito larvae using the Mosquito Habitat Mapper tool.
- Take photos of the same location using the Land Cover tool.
Even if you can't get outside to observe, you can still learn more about mosquitoes and land cover using the list of activities below. For partners leading formal or informal education programs surrounding the challenge, please contact us for templates to use for posters and presentations.
If you missed any of the Mosquito Monday updates during the challenge, you can see them under GLOBE Observer News.
The 2021 Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge has concluded. Download a customizable certificate (PDF) or digital badge (PNG) to celebrate your participation by learning, engaging and creating using the challenge activity tracker. Print or share on social media, and thanks for joining in!
And we have a special certificate for you if you collected mosquito habitat, larvae, or land cover data during the challenge. Opt in (directions below) to receive GLOBE Observer News via the GLOBE Observer app. By doing so you will receive (directly via email) a certificate celebrating your data contributions. Opting in is also the best way to ensure that you get the latest updates about how the data you helped collect is being used by researchers.
To opt in: Go to the settings menu in the app (small gear icon, bottom right), select "Opt-In/Opt-Out Settings" and then select yes under "Receive GLOBE Observer News" to receive future messages at the email address associated with your GLOBE account.
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge Activity Tracker
The Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge activity tracker will help you keep a log of how you participate in the challenge. See the list further down this page for more details about each of the options. Thanks to our friends at the Los Angeles Public Library, we are pleased to also be able to offer the challenge activity tracker in Spanish and Chinese in addition to English (links below.)
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge Data Dashboard
A dynamic data dashboard showing mosquito habitat observations (including larvae photos) and land cover observations, including a map display and graphs of when observations were taken. Can be customized by date (limited to 2021) and map extent.
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge Photo Guide
A guide for how to take photos of mosquito habitats, larvae and land cover during the challenge.
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge Photo Tips Handout
This handout describes the process of taking mosquito habitat and land cover observations during the Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge, and gives tips about how to take high-quality mosquito larvae photos.
Mosquito Habitat Photo Challenge - Activities
- Take a mosquito observation with the Mosquito Habitat Mapper tool in the GLOBE Observer app. (See the photo tips handout for suggestions on how to take high-quality mosquito larve photos.)
- Take a land cover observation with the Land Cover tool.
- Conduct a mosquito habitat survey.
- Start a nature journal, either on your own or using the Mission Mosquito Science Notebook as a guide.
Always follow guidelines from your local officials, and only participate in GLOBE activities or use the GLOBE Observer app if it is safe to do so.
- Watch a video or webinar:
- Watch videos about mosquitoes or land cover.
- Watch a recording of the webinar hosted by the Los Angeles Public Library on 22 July 2021 to learn more about the challenge and how the data from citizen scientists will be used to support research. You can also see view the slides presented by Dr. Rusty Low , or see a list of recommended children's books on mosquitoes (with annotations for teachers and parents) as compiled by the LAPL librarians.
- Watch a recording of the webinar from 08 July , all about the challenge.
- Watch recordings of past webinars held by the GLOBE Mission Mosquito team.
- Read about mosquitoes or land cover:
- Blogs we've posted, such as "New Meets Old -- Mosquito Habitat Mappers" and "Machine Learning and Your Citizen Science Data"
- Zika Zine: The Story of Three Aedes Mosquitoes and the Zika Within Them
- Beyond the Bite: GLOBE Mission Mosquito Disease Guide
- Books for kids about mosquitoes and land cover
- Books for adults about mosquitoes and land cover
- Articles from NASA's Earth Observatory about mosquitos or land cover
- Explore data:
- Visit the Mosquito Habitat Mapper data dashboard.
- Mosquito habitat data and photos in the GLOBE Visualization System
- Land cover data and photos in the GLOBE Visualization System
- Learn about mosquito habitats and hideouts with the activity guide, bingo boards, and video demonstration of the activity.
- Build a mosquito larvae trap using the activity instructions or by watching the demonstration video .
- Create a map of mosquito habitats near you using the activity instructions or by watching the demonstration video .
- Explore land cover with building blocks using the activity instructions or by watching the demonstration video .
- Create a poster about mosquitoes.
As you complete activities or take observations, share your results with us through social media using #MosquitoChallenge or by tagging the GLOBE Program.
- Ask an expert about mosquitoes or land cover.
- Teach a friend about mosquitoes or land cover (for example using the Mosquito Tellers activity .)
- Share mosquito prevention tips.
- Follow GLOBE on social media:
Looking for even more activities to try? Check out the Mosquito Habitats Resource Library, or the Land Cover Resource Library!