News - GLOBE Observer
NASA GLOBE Observer’s Weekly Roundup: 23-29 July 2017
How's your summer going? How about that solar eclipse coming up in August? This and more in this week's roundup.
1. IMAGE OF THE WEEK: The above is a screen grab of a special online interactive you can use to the explore the upcoming solar eclipse.
"In this interactive, web-based 3D simulation, you can click anywhere on the Earth to preview your view of the August 21st, 2017 total eclipse. This will work in the web browser on your desktop or laptop, as well as on newer tablets and mobile phones, in either iOS or Android operating systems."
2. PARTICIPATE: Remember you can participate in the upcoming solar eclipse as a citizen scientist with the "Eclipse: Temperature and Clouds" app feature on NASA GLOBE Observer. Just be sure to load the app in advance and obtain a thermometer before the big day. Learn more in the video below.
3. BOOK/MOVIE: Have you joined a summer reading club at your local library yet? They often have programs for adults. You should join one. You will find yourself reading more and there are often nice prizes as incentives.
Here is a recommendation for you:
Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
In this book there is a scene with a solar eclipse. It happens that this eclipse also occurs on the 21st of the month. Twain's book has also been adapted several times for the screen -- starring the likes of Bing Crosby and Will Rogers. You can read or listen to the chapter concerning the eclipse, or the entire book for that matter in the link below.
(Guess what? Mark Twain was born in Florida, MO. This city is just outside of the path of totality for this year's total solar eclipse.)
4. NASA ANNIVERSARY: 59 years ago Saturday, NASA was signed into law by President Eisenhower.
5. WEEKLY VIDEO: See last week's favorite cloud observation submissions from around the world on our Facebook page. And don't forget to share your favorite photos with us by tagging us on Facebook and Twitter: #NASAGO.