News - GLOBE Observer
NASA GLOBE Observer’s Weekly Roundup: 15-21 October 2017
NASA GLOBE Observer received the NASA Team Award. This and more in this week's roundup.
1. GO TEAM: NASA GLOBE Observer was presented with the NASA Team Award this last week. Way to GO team! You can read more about some of the team members by checking out our profiles section in the below.
2. ASTRONOMY: With GLOBE Observer we ask you to make observations of the wold around you with a smart phone app. But how many of you are also space and astronomy buffs? I bet many of you are, and would be interested to know that this week is National Astronomy Week.
Did you know that this last week, on October 11, 2017, asteroid 2012 TC4 passed safely past the Earth? Did you attempt to view it with your telescope?
3. ASTEROIDS: Have you ever wondered how NASA spots and tracks near-Earth asteroids? In the link below you can watch a short video explaining how this is done.
4. METEOR SHOWER: Speaking of astronomy ... the Orionid meteor shower peaks this coming weekend (October 20-22).
"The Orionids, which peak during mid-October each year, are considered to be one of the most beautiful showers of the year. Orionid meteors are known for their brightness and for their speed. These meteors ..." Read more and make plans to view the shower in the link below.
5. WEEKLY VIDEO: See cloud observation submissions from the past week on our Facebook page (link below).