Events - GLOBE Observer
Webinar: Student Research by Example - Croatia
Student Research by Example: Croatian Students Discuss their Tree Research and its Real-World Applications in the City of Karlovac and Dubovac District.
The webinar will be the second webinar for Year 5 of the Trees Around the GLOBE Student Research Campaign. Since Year 5 of the campaign will be heavily invested in guiding student research, educator Snježana Zoraja and her students from Dubovac Primary School in Croatia will describe the details of their student research, as well as how they took their research results to their local town and decision-makers and implemented a real-world approach to their research findings. Following the student presentation, our own Peter Falcon will present a recap of his trip to Croatia and his work with students in October 2022. During the webinar, we will also hear from Autumn Burdick, senior writer and editor for The GLOBE Program and Communications Director for the NASA GLOBE Observer. Autumn will discuss the GLOBE Student Vloggers program and how this is yet another form of student research. Peder Nelson will highlight some tools (with examples from GLOBE Croatia) that students from all GLOBE countries can utilize in their student research on trees and land cover.
- Webinar Introduction and metrics (Brian Campbell)
- NASA GLOBE Trees Challenge 2022: Trees in a Changing Climate Update (Brian Campbell)
- Featured Student Research Presentation - Studying tree height and carbon of the Marmontova aleja (Plane) Trees in Dubovac (Snježana Zoraja and students from Dubovac Primary School, Karlovac
- Recap of the European Regional Meeting and Croatia School Visits (Peter Falcon)
- Looking at Ways to Research
- Trees Assignment and GLOBE Student Vloggers (Autumn Burdick)
- Online Tools for Student Research – Examples from Europe and Eurasia that can be used by any GLOBE student in any GLOBE Region (Peder Nelson)
- Final Discussions (All)
Webinar Connection Information:
Time: 8 November 2022 11:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Zoom Meeting ID: 757 824 1037